The Rockefeller Foundation and Sealantic Fund
The Seatlantic Fund was established in 1938 by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. to give support to institutions and programs in which he took a personal interest of which liberal Protestantism was central. The fund contributed to Protestant theological education. The Sealantic Fund was merged with the Rockefeller Brothers Fund in 1973. Subjects include support for education in Christian theology, the conservation and restoration of historic sites, nursing schools, public health, public welfare, theology and theological seminaries. The Interdenominational Theological Center along with other liberal Protestant seminaries and schools benefited from the fund, which was instrumental in the establishment of the center. In an attempt to secure funds for the ITC, Harry V. Richardson and F.D. Patterson would meet with three representatives of the Rockefeller Fund in New York. The meeting was arranged by Patterson, and in 1958 the fund appropriated $1,500,000 for the founding of the ITC.
Dana C. Creel born in Smyrna, GA was the head of the Rockefeller fund from 1950- 1970. He helped shape the fund into a broad based charitable organization. He graduated from Emory Law School in 1939 and also attended Harvard Business School. During his tenure as the director of the Rockefeller Fund, Creel distributed $150 million to a variety of efforts. Among those who received part of the distribution of cash was the Interdenominational Theological Center. Creel was one of the three Rockefeller Fund representatives who met with Harry V. Richardson and F.D. Patterson in New York to discuss money for ITC. Dana C. Creel is said to have helped change the focus of giving by awarding money to efforts that were not of particular interests to wealthy people during the time.
Yorke Allen Jr. graduated from Princeton University in 1936. He served as a member of the Connecticut legislature from 1979-1983, and worked for the Eberhardt and Company banking firm. He was also an associate with the Rockefeller Fund from 1951-1980. He was one of the three Rockefeller fund representatives who met with Harry V. Richardson and F.D. Patterson in New York to discuss a monetary donation to the efforts to establish ITC.
Harry C. Meserve born in Rye, NY in 1914 earned degrees from Phillips Academy (Andover), Haverford College and Harvard Divinity School was the minster of the First Unitarian Church of San Francisco and Chair of the Northern California American Civil Liberties Union. He also served in several other Unitarian churches including in Cohasset MA, Buffalo NY, and Grosse Pointe MI. He authored several books and publications. He was an advisor to the Rockefeller Brothers Fund. He was one of three Rockefeller Fund representatives who met with Harry V. Richardson and F.D. Patterson in New York to discuss a monetary donation to the efforts to establish ITC.
Additionally, the General Education Board appropriated $500,000 to the Interdenominational Theological Center to be established in 1957.