Clark Atlanta University
Clark Atlanta University is a comprehensive, private, urban, coeducational institution of higher education with a predominantly African-American heritage. It offers undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees as well as certificate programs to students of diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. The University was established in 1988 through the consolidation of its two parent institutions, Atlanta University (1865), the nation's first institution to award graduate degrees to African Americans, and Clark College (1869) the nation's first four-year liberal arts college to serve a primarily African-American student population.
- The catalog for Atlanta University (now Clark Atlanta University) provides information on the degree programs, course offerings, policies, procedures, financial costs, buildings and services, administration staff, Board of Trustees, and faculty. Early years of the catalog also included lists of matriculating students and alumni.
- Yearbooks of Clark College and Clark Atlanta University spanning from 1926 to 2017.
- Clark Atlanta University was established in 1988 as a result of the consolidation of two independent historically black institutions - Atlanta University (1865) and Clark College (1869. The bulk of this collection contains photographs of Clark College before its consolidation with Atlanta University. The photographs show student life, such as classes, athletics, clubs, sororities and fraternities, and graduation. Also included in this collection are notable people, such as Vivian Henderson, Carl Ware, Vernon Jordan, C. Eric Lincoln, and Thomas Cole, Jesses Jackson, Andrew Young, and James P. Brawley.
- The Atlanta University Bulletin was published quarterly by the University. The purpose of the newsletter was to tell the story of the work being done at the University. Originally a monthly, the Bulletin contained information on issues pertaining to education for African Americans, articles on the academic program of the University, accomplishments of alumni, editorial comments on political issues and racial injustices, speeches and sermons delivered to the students by distinguished Americans, reprints of materials from various journals, and appeals for financial aid. The Bulletin also contained many illustrations and pictures of the campus and campus events. In 1910, the Bulletin became a quarterly, and devoted every fourth issue to the publication of the Atlanta University Catalog, which usually contained a list of trustees, faculty, descriptions of the University, school calendar, and course offerings, which can be viewed in the Atlanta University Catalog Collection.
- The theses and disserations deposited here represent the research and scholarship of Atlanta University and Clark Atlanta University.
- Atlanta University was founded in 1865 by the American Missionary Association with assistance from the Freedman’s Bureau. Clark College was founded as Clark University in 1869 by the Freedmen’s Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church (now United Methodist Church). The college was named for Bishop Davis W. Clark, the first president of the Freedmen’s Aid Society. In 1945, The Panther became the official student newspaper of Clark College, a decision made by the student body and faculty advisor. Prior to this, The Mentor had been the representative college journal of student expression. Clark Atlanta University is the consolidation of Clark College and Atlanta University in 1988. The two separate collections denotes the publication before consolidation and after consolidation.
- James Herbert Touchstone (1889-1975), an educator, scholar, and scientist, Touchstone worked as a Professor of Chemistry, Greek, and Latin at Clark University. In addition to his teaching career at Clark University, he was a Professor of Chemistry and football coach at Rust College, Samuel Houston College, and Philander Smith College, where he also served as Academic Dean and Director of Summer School. Beyond his work as an educator, Touchstone was an active member of the Methodist Church. He served as a teacher, Trustee, Steward, Superintendent of Church School, and as Church Lay Leader. The images in this collection range from 1915-1979.
- Josephine Dibble Murphy (1888-1974), was a community leader, educator and international traveler. Images in the collections span from 1920 to 1974 with the bulk of the materials from 1950-1974. Images consist of organizations that she was affiliated with, such as the Atlanta University Alumni Association, NAACP and the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom.