Spelman College

Spelman logo2

Founded in 1881 as the Atlanta Baptist Female Seminary, it became Spelman College in 1924. Now a global leader in the education of women of African descent, Spelman College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and are proud members of the Atlanta University Center Consortium.

  • Course Catalogs

    • This collection is comprised of 109 volumes of Catalogs and Bulletins from Spelman College from 1881-2012 providing information on degree programs, policies and procedures, fees and administrative issues, academic course offerings, faculty, staff and board members.
  • Magazine: Spelman Messenger

    • This collection is comprised of 612 issues of the Spelman Messenger spanning 1885-2016, featuring school news, articles by students, creative writings, book reviews, alumni notes and obituaries.
  • Newspaper: The Campus Mirror

    • First published in October 1924, The Campus Mirror was a monthly newspaper managed and edited by the students of Spelman College. The paper featured editorials, campus news, events, speeches, local advertisements, and photographs of classes and organizations. In addition to its news coverage, literary works by students and advice for interviews or studying could be found in the Mirror's pages. A special commencement issue was published at the end of each academic year. These issues included photographs and covered the graduating and incoming classes. The newspaper's final issue circulated in May 1950 after 26 years of covering campus life.
  • Spelman Photographs

    • This collection contains over 600 images dating from 1887 to the present and document Spelman’s presidents, commencement ceremonies, and campus building and grounds. Also featured are images from Spelman’s Department of Drama and Dance from the 1930s to the present.

 

For more digital research and scholarship from Spelman College, please visit Spelman's home page on Digital Commons.